Sunday, May 22, 2011

Do You Smell?

I visit my dad at his apartment often. Recently, the parking lot at his place was resealed with asphalt. The smell was straight hydrocarbon.

 

Now, I suspect you think of that as a stink. For me, the aroma is like the smell of mom's home cooking. While I know the smell of asphalt is neither healthy nor pleasant to most, it triggers fond memories. I remember wonderful experiences and people from my oil patch days. Just a whiff transports me to a good place, good times.

 

Paul says in 2 Corinthians 2:15, "For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing." In other words, we who claim to follow Christ should by our actions and words help others conjure up thoughts and feelings of love and courage to face the day ahead (or to reconcile a bad day in the rear view mirror.)

 

Be so Christ like today that you give off an unmistakable aroma to those who need reinforcement for their faith and those who are just hanging on.



No comments:

Post a Comment