Monday, April 7, 2014

Consumer or Disciple?


http://bit.ly/1g10f3n


Daily, we hear or see things that pressure us to buy, have it our way, consume, rate, and expand our choices. Our culture and economy is based in part on consuming. Get my caffeinated, liquid sugar delivery system order right! Will I get a ribbon or a trophy? We’re number 1! Don’t make me wait too long – I’ll bolt. You will never see me here again, the service was lousy. I rate my experience “fair.” You have got to try this place – it’s to die for. In the end, we often wind up getting consumed ourselves; by debt, busyness, isolation from real relationships, the stress of keeping up, and the fear that, we too, are being judged by other demanding “consumers.”

Jesus’ simply asks us to follow. The trip ultimately leads to an incredibly wonderful destination but it takes an unexpected route. In fact the easy route will not get us there. He makes no conditions on our admission to the trip. But he does say that the trip will be sweeter if we have the eye and the heart of a disciple – a follower who needs the experience of others. Will we be a person willing to learn, especially through taming the consumer in us? A disciple is one who is willing to tame, to harness, the heart, body and mind for a purpose higher than, “feeling good.” The purpose is to love recklessly as Christ himself did. The follower, it turns out, empties herself in order to experience fullness.

Today, how would you describe yourself? Your trip? Will the path you are taking bring you peace?

“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, 
but will have the light of life.” John 8:12 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment