Posted on Seth Godin's blog recently…
1. For the money
2. To be challenged
3. For the pleasure/calling of doing the work
4. For the impact it makes on the world
5. For the reputation you build in the community
6. To solve interesting problems
7. To be part of a group and to experience the mission
8. To be appreciated
My experience is that the happiest people I have met over the years are those who are driven by numbers 2,3,4,6 and 7. Don't get me wrong, people should enjoy 1,5 and 8 as well but these are external fruit over which we have little control. Working solely because of the 1-5-8 is an unrealistic strategy from our culture's standpoint. Look at commercials. They stress the benefits of their good and services will be numbers 1,5 and 8. The other numbers are minimized.
Now, there is nothing wrong with any of these. God made "stuff" and thought about things like sunsets, sex and chocolate. God gave us a world to enjoy responsibly, including meaningful work.
Which drive you? Are there any you overlook? While I like them all, 2 and 6 really get me jazzed.