Sunday, November 21, 2010

Darren

Darren owns a restaurant in Central Texas. Christine and I talked with him after dinner. We went there because he only uses fresh ingredients, free from additives, preferably locally grown. He talked. You could not stop him. He had a passion. It was food. He had worked in the restaurant industry for years, learning about his passion. 20 years. Then, he made his move to his own place. We had a great time.

Did you ever notice how magnetic people with a passion are? Did you ever notice how patient they are? Now, to be clear, I consider a "passion" an innate, internal drive to dive into the deep end of the pool of life – no matter the cost. It does give us pleasure but the pleasure is the fruit of a passion and not the reason for its pursuit. It has to do with you and me and not something or someone outside of us or a reward.

 

When I have done Spiritual Gifts classes, I am saddened by how little passion or awareness of passion Christians have. For some reason, we think that if we go through the right moves and think the right things and emphasize the right doctrine, we will have life. I do not think so.

 

Jesus had a passion and it drove him to the Cross but, also THROUGH the Cross into a life unimagined. God has that in store for you as well. I hope you do not miss out.

 

I pray today that you pursue your passion (and only trial and error and do-overs will help unearth it.) I pray you find something so life-giving and compelling that you seek it not counting the costs. Then, I want to hang around you, energized by your passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment