Tuesday, May 27, 2014

There’s More Fun In The Deep End


Photo: http://bit.ly/1k4DXhU

I have a chameleon-like faith. Or maybe a shape-shifter faith. I am constantly moving from shallow to deep and back to shallow again. I don’t stay put.

At times, I acknowledge Jesus but my faith is in my head and my heart has not turned to him. I am detached. Aloof. Away. Worship is one option among many. These times are the “like” Jesus times.

At times, I observe Jesus and I occupy myself with “religious stuff” but my heart is on simmer. I am busy “Christianizing” but the fruit is bland.  Worship is regular but rote except when I really am into it and then it goes viral (for a time.)

Other times, I follow Jesus. I turn over my heart and the take risks that come from self-forgetfulness. My heart boils over even while I am stretched to my limit. These times always involves keeping a commitment to others. Life is served and renewed in this paradoxical state. Worship flows out of Sunday and into the week. 

Where are you? Do you like it there? Have you gotten stuck? Could you encourage a stuck person?

“Exert every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. Luke 13:24 NLT (Jesus tells us that following is hard but worth it. See entire passage.)


No comments:

Post a Comment