Friday, February 8, 2013

Fear


What are you afraid of? Stop. I meant it. Think. What scares you?
  • Lose your job?
  • Debt?
  • Death of a loved one?
  • That you don't matter?
  • That you will miss out on something?
  • That someone has it better?
  • That you will die?
  • That you will become incapacitated?
  • That you will be alone?
Have you stopped reading because you don't want to think about it?

This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:17-19 (NIV)

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 1 John 4:7-9 (NIV)

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7 (NIV)

These passages challenge me and, at times, leave me in a state of confusion.
  • Fear cannot exist in the face of real love
  • God is real love
  • Fearing God leads to real enlightenment
I have come to believe that my fears weaken me and lead me away from loving others as I preoccupy myself with self-preservation. Fear, though seductive, is a dead end. We all die. A healthy respect for God empowers me. I know I respect God when I leave a trail of love.

May you know your fears today and may you play to an audience of one today - God.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment