Monday, September 16, 2013

Big Hair




One of my early introductions to life in Texas was Jean. I had first talked to her on the phone. She had a voice like maple syrup with a hint of jalapeno. Sweet and peppery. As I do in most cases, I imagined what she looked like. Well, a month later, I met here face-to-face. That hair! As a professional engineer, I would say (if I did not see it) that it was structurally impossible. I looked for the flying buttress that kept her head from tipping over. I got to know Jean over the years. She was tough.

But always kind.

She made sure that I and others in my situation navigated the organization with ease. And, if we did get knocked on our butts, she had a kind word as she dusted us off and sent us back out. There were days we wished we would have an excuse to go see her knowing that the trajectory of our day would be better having been touched by her kindness. She left a mark on all she met and gave a face to the organization that said, “you matter.”

Kindness changes the day for you and for someone else. Make each encounter today a kind one. Thank God for the kind ones you meet.

He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? Micah 6:8 (NRSV)

By contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against such things. Galatians 5:22-23 (NRSV)

As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. Colossians 3:12 (NRSV)

No comments:

Post a Comment