Monday, March 15, 2010

Play Nice

In my mind, the Church should be most power force in society. After all, we are the Body of Christ. But, like the guy who does not go to the prom, the Church too often is considered nice but dull, boring and incapable of impressive feats of power (think athletic.) Jesus was killed for his work. Should the Church, then, be ignored?

 

I think it comes down to faith. Faith moves mountains. Minute amounts of faith can change the course of human history. Faith makes the impossible possible.

 

Jesus called his disciples "little faiths." I think that moniker fits us as well. Too often, we attempt what is easy, what we can accomplish under our own power.  Too often, we pretend things are okay rather than tackling the impossible task of reconciling the world to God and one other. Too often, we are uninspired by our self-help religion where we dare not consider anything that moves beyond the resources we can spare. Too often, we are afraid that, if we dream too big, God will not be able to deliver.

 

I do not have a lot of faith, but God does. In fact, he says, "Don't worry, I make more!" I, as part of the Church, must seek to be faithful because faith changes reality. And things are not okay as they are. I must allow Faith to take me places I do not want to go, provide times I fear being overwhelmed and expect work that outstrips my resources. My life and the lives of others depend on Faith taking over where I run out.

 

I don't want to be nice and domesticated or even clever. I want to be faith full and, if need be, a bit afraid. God wants more for this world. He will accomplish it through risk takers who believe he can deliver.


We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment