Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Fortune




The fortune cookie I received the other day stated, “Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes playing a poor hand well.” I wondered to myself, “Is this true?” I think it is.

I have met very few happy , contented people who attempt to control who gets the best cards. The “best cards” in this case are either Perfection or The Most. Perfection is impossible to achieve and, therefore, can be every self-defeating (and drive everyone else crazy.) The Most is an illusion since someone always will have more (okay, one person must have the most) and “more” does not satisfy beyond basic needs. 

God offers a different goal – Completeness or Wholeness. Life, God reports, does not come from acquiring possessions or the self-defeat of perfectionism.

When Jesus says in Matthew 5:8, “Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect,” he is saying, “be perfectly you” or “grow up.” The goal of life is to be you.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:14 (NIV)

You are. Wonderfully made, that is. “More” is a dead end, too.

Then Jesus said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed;
life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.  Luke 12:15 (NIV)

Get off the Unhappy-Go-Round. How will you play the cards you have been dealt today?

No comments:

Post a Comment