Wednesday, November 28, 2012

If Only




The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7 (NKJV)

I hear the words “if only” at least once a day. Once in a while, I say it to myself. Most times, someone in pain utters it.
·      If only… (s)he would
·      If only… I won the lottery
·      If only… I get a job
·      If only… _____________ had won/lost the election
·      If only… (s)he would notice me
·      If only… my grades were better
·      If only… I had listened
·      If only… the coach, director, team, job, spouse force me
·      If only… I was better
·      If only… it was _____________ ( a past year/era)
·      If only… we had more money
·      If only… I wasn’t so busy
·      If only… my job didn’t suck
·      If only… God would tell me what to do
·      If only… I would have done_________
·      If only… __________________ (you fill it in)

In most of these cases, we are bemoaning the fact that we have little current control over things AND we set a trajectory previously in life that got us where we are.

When we let God run the show we are doing this.

  • Admitting that our efforts to control are often futile.  If only’s give way to a contented clarity of thought and heart.
  • We realign our If only, out-of-control life to God’s trajectory, which is life in abundance. Abundance not because we have-it-all.  Rather, a life of contentment because God has it all.

“Father,” Jesus said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.” Mark 14:36 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment