Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Worship




I was glad when they said to me, "Let us go to the house of the Lord." Psalm 122:1

I loved going to church when I was a child. Worship. Sunday School was a mixed bag but I loved worship. My mom and dad took me every week. We did not miss. Excuses for missing church were as few as those for missing school. My mother taught me about prayer and using the Prayer Book. Cross yourself at the right time. No backside on the pew when praying.  A nickel goes to the church and a nickel goes to mission. We would get to church early and I would mark all the pages we would use and all the hymns. We mostly did Morning Prayer, which had a lot of chanting. God seemed alive in Episcopal worship. Okay, sermons, I didn’t get till I was older.

Maybe you did not have someone to build a love of worshiping God into your life. I am sorry if that was the case. I strive to build God-loving worshipers today. 

More importantly, how are you shaping the worship life of a child? Yes, I know everyone is busy. I suspect sometimes God feels like the parent whose adult child finds them a chore to visit.

I value promises. Most people expect me to keep them. We make a promise to raise up children to know and love Christ each time we baptize a child. We promise this for all children and not just our own. And this love is nurtured by holy habits we impart on children.

You have a lot of choices. I am not sure that is all good. I hope you give priority to raising up worshiping children. Let me know if I may be of help.

No comments:

Post a Comment