Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sexy




Last night, MTV hosted the Video Awards. I admit, I did not watch them. This morning, social media was abuzz about Miley Cyrus’ performance. I Googled it. (You can, too.) It was vulgar. That did not surprise me. I did see a number of people, including young women, eating it up. Yes, all speech is free but not all is wholesome.

I am no prude. I, in fact, like “sexy.”  God made sexy. I see sexy as engaging the brain as much as the body. What I saw was the actions of an immature person desperately seeking attention, no matter what the cost. I wondered how many parents had their kids there in front of the TV soaking this in.

Here’s the deal. A Christian needs to find some line where she or he will not cross because of the relationship she or he has with Christ. And Christians need to move from the showy but crude life of an immature follower (I am right, you are wrong/I have all the answers/one political party is on God’s side) to something better. Seeking wholesome speech and actions should be our vocation. What we wear, view and say should be aimed at building up others and helping others not to fall.

How are your speech, your actions, and what occupies your attention today? Where is your line?
I pray for Miley and those who are influenced by her. I pray for maturity.

The gifts he gave were that some would be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until all of us come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to maturity, to the measure of the full stature of Christ. Ephesians 4:11-13 (NRSV)

Like newborn babies, you must crave pure spiritual milk so that you will grow into a full experience of salvation. Cry out for this nourishment, 1 Peter 22 (NTL)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:9 (NRSV)

No comments:

Post a Comment