Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Put Off

 Whoever watches the wind will not plant;
       whoever looks at the clouds will not reap. Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)



I am not sure if this passage says more about procrastination or perfectionism.



Some watch the wind because they daydream a lot. Daydreamers can become procrastinators, never putting their dreams into action. Some hesitate planting or reaping (or doing anything) because they wait for the perfect time. Hesitators often act when it becomes obvious that the right time is long gone. Their dreams, too, never become a reality. And God has even bigger dreams of which we never even imagine.


Jesus taught that when we move with him throughout the day, we will be caught up in the perfect time (kairos, to use his words) rather than the crunch of time marching on (chronos.) When we move with Jesus, we are actually a part of a larger reality called the Kingdom of Heaven. The Kingdom is the "bigger picture" that only God knows but would love to share with us. The Kingdom is where all actions work towards God's good end. However, we share it by blindly trusting his son. No easy task. Kingdom life will always involve risk.


·         Does Jesus figure into my day at all (other than asking him to bail me out or do magic?)

·         How much do I risk, living uncomfortably but faithfully?

·         I think I know (I don't) all the horrible things I avoided by putting things off but do I have any idea of the wonderful things that awaited me if I acted?

·         Can Jesus have my day today?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment