Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Clothes

Clothes

 

"As God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience." - Colossians 3:12 (NIV)

 

When I read this passage, I realize something about myself. In a world of excuses and entitlements, I need help.  Woulda, shoulda, coulda, hafta. I try run on my own steam (without God.)  Why not, I always have a trump card to play. The trump card?  Either I am entitled to skip service due to my own self-inflated importance or I am excused from service because I only have so much energy. Compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience are service words. The flaw in my logic, however, is that they are not my possession nor are they even from my own power.

 

These are service words symbolize gifts from God. I steward them just as I would to with money. I am clothed with them because I do not have the supply necessary to serve. On my own, I run out - fast. God will cloth me as often as I ask when he has service for me to do. But I seldom ask. Either I rush headlong into service and poop out or else I avoid service, nursing my perceived lack of resources.

 

Let God cloth you today for service.

No comments:

Post a Comment