Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Team or Solo?

Team or Solo?

 

ESPN radio (and later National Public Radio) questioned which was more popular and why: team sports or single athlete sports.  The former would include football, baseball, and basketball (although we do worship individual superstars in these sports.) The latter would include many Olympic sports – ice skating, track, diving, gymnastics, and downhill skiing. I would rather be on a winning team than be a winning individual. How about you?

 

Christianity is often seen as a spectator sport. The minister ministers and the congregation congregates. The Coach (aka, The Father) sees it differently. Following Christ is to be done by each uniquely gifted individual who, in turn, gives her gifts over for the good of the Team (Church.) Paul says we give what we have 'for the common good." Personal/private religion isn't really in the game plan. Personal gifts will make the Church become the living, breathing Body of Jesus Christ.

 

Today, ask, "Am I trying to be a solo player in the Faith Games?" "I'm I simply rooting for the Team without participating?" "Do I get my signals from the Coach or do I insist on calling an endless stream of audibles based on my feelings?"

 

Play Ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment