Wednesday, June 15, 2011

On A Mission

I like to read mission statements. I like to read them for two reasons.

 

I like to see statements that really grasp the group's identity in a few words

I like to see if the group delivers on their mission (or it's just a bunch of words)

 

Darden Restaurants (Red Lobster, Olive Garden) has this very succinct mission statement


"To nourish and delight everyone we serve."

 

Church mission statements (even my own church's) leave me cold. With the greatest mission for the greatest God, we come up with wordy, churchy, all-inclusive laundry lists or meaningless church words strung together. Mostly, these mission statements are about some church but rarely reflect the actual church that espouses it. (If yours is great, bless you. Send it to me.) By the way, Enron's mission statements (RIP) was,"Respect, Integrity, Communication and Excellence." Huh?

 

What if we all used Darden's?  What if that was our church's and our personal mission statement? I don't think Jesus would be offended, especially if we lived it out. Nourish could mean physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

 

What would Christ say is your specific mission for him? How are you doing?





No comments:

Post a Comment