Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Weaklings

Jesus purposely sent his friends out into the world to do the impossible with minimal assets. In other words, he weakened their ability to rely on themselves and their accumulations even while having outrageous expectations.

(Jesus) called the twelve and began to send them out two by two, and gave them authority over the unclean spirits. He ordered them to take nothing for their journey except a staff; no bread, no bag, no money in their belts; but to wear sandals and not to put on two tunics.
Mark 6:6b-9 (NRSV) 

How often do we surround ourselves with so much stuff in order to minimize risk and pain? How much to we prepare ourselves for all sorts of contingencies? How many of us feel safe with full storage units? How many accolades or ribbons do I need to be comfortable in my own skin?

I think Jesus wants us to have just enough so that we MUST rely on him. Too little and we may be crushed. But too much and we become our own god.

I would bet that we all would benefit from divesting ourselves in order to rely on Christ instead. What needs to go?

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
2 Corinthians 12:9 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment