Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Idiot

We like to read about and know who's being an idiot. This won't be about that but my title may have helped overcome the hesitation to read on.

If I landed from another planet, I would think that the world is awash in idiots. In the age of social media, everyone has an opinion and most of them involve calling or demonstrating how stupid another person is (or their beliefs.) Now I disagree with about half the things I read and about half the people who write these things. I lead a fantastic church with people who have opinions all over the map. I know two things.

No one has a lock on the truth, which should lead to some openness and humility.

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 1 John 1:8 (NIV)

We all share the most important thing and all discussions and diatribes should start there. We all belong to God. The grace that comes from Christian love should under gird our speech.

Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." Genesis 1:26 (NIV)

I pray we have opinions and even things for which we will give our life, both in word and deed. Arguments are a part of good civil discussion. Naming belongs to God. Each encounter today will be with a person for whom Christ gave his life. May grace lace your speech towards others.

But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you
Matthew 5:44 (NIV)

Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become
in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.

Ephesians 4:15 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment