Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Together


Do you have it all together? I mean, the perfect life, children, health, parents, job, lawn? Just like everyone else? Here's a secret. They don't have their act together. Neither do you or me. And the perfect life is an illusion and a crummy goal.

I'm not okay. You're not okay. But that's okay because God is okay.

First off, when God says to be perfect, God means "be perfectly YOU." No posing. No copying. Be the YOU God thought was just what the world needed. You are, after all, God's prized creation.

Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. Matthew 5:48 (NIV)

Secondly, God is totally aware that we don't have our act together. And God is not ashamed of us. That's why God sent his Son. Jesus came for those who do not have their act together.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:14 (NIV)

Third, nothing we do or accumulate will really get our act where it becomes "together." But God will do it for nothing if we will let go of trying to perfect ourselves or hide our "untogether act."

"I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.
Jeremiah 31:3 (NIV)

You're pretty nifty. As is. Live the day as if it were true even if you cannot quite believe it yet. Follow God's lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment