Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Adventure



Gandalf: “I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it’s very difficult to find anyone.”
Bilbo: “I should think so — in these parts! We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!" 
The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien

Someone asked Jesus, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?”
He said to them,  “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’
“But he will answer, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’    
                                                                                 Luke 13:23-25 (NIV)

Calling the crowd to join his disciples, he said, “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat; I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to saving yourself, your true self. What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real you? What could you ever trade your soul for?                                   Mark 8:34-37 (Message)

What Adventure is Jesus calling you to that you are resisting, preferring to play it safe?


No comments:

Post a Comment