Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Give




I recently read an online article about church members. Therein were described two types. As a pastor, I was to be aware of which I was helping to form. One was described as a “come and get” consumer of religion and the other was described as a “come and give” servant of The Way. I suppose we are a mixture of both. I can be noble or selfish. But the article encouraged me to help create a church culture where people become predominantly “come and give” disciples. 

“Come and get” is a what’s-in-it-for-me culture that mirrors the larger consumer culture of our country. It seeks to consume enjoyable religious goods and services. It has high expectations and low commitment. It is quick to move on to the activity that offers the best rewards or perks. It offers fleeting satisfaction and must continually offer a new and better high.

“Come and give” is counter-cultural in that’s its priority comes out of a how-may-I-serve-you mindset. It is marked by high commitment and high satisfaction. It thinks of others before thinking of itself.

How will you approach life today and the people with whom you will interact? Give or get?

For even the Son of Man (Jesus) did not come to be served, but to serve,
and to give his life as a ransom for many. Mark 10:45 (NIV)

Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.
Mark 8:34b (NIV)

And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Mark 8:36 (NLT)


No comments:

Post a Comment