Thursday, April 18, 2013

There is more, right?


The recent tragedy in Boston is hard to take; hard to watch. We cannot tolerate being reminded of our vulnerability and ultimate death. Yet, we watch. We fear life’s fragility. We ache for others we don’t know and, yet, with whom we have so much in common. We are barraged continually by words and images in a great search for understanding. None will come. Death is tragic, untimely, unfair and undiscriminating. And final.

There is a pull in us at these times to circle the wagons and keep out all who are not like us or disagree with us in order to feel safe again. We become more polarized. In our rage, we feel more in control. We are not. If anything, we only breed more angry people who author more tragedies.

I am reminded at times like these (or I must remind myself) that we are Easter people. Death is penultimate. Life is ultimate. Rage will never win. Love will overcome.

Lord, I firmly believe this with all my heart. And, as long as you are there, help me to believe it.

Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” Revelation 21:1-5 (NIV)

Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” Mark 9:24 (NIV)

Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 1 John 4:8 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment