Monday, May 13, 2013

Draw Near




They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, with a request. “Sir,” they said, “we would like to see Jesus.” John 12:21 (NIV)

and since we have a great priest (Jesus Christ) over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10:21-23 (NIV)

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:34-34 (NIV)

‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40 (NIV)

Hardly a day goes by where I would not like Jesus sitting across the table. Over coffee, he would love me, challenge me, hold me, explain things to me and rebuke me (get me off my butt) – generally make life better.

If you would like to see Jesus today – suffer. Jesus’ love was in the shape of a Cross. Sacrificially serve someone in need without any expectation or possibility of repayment. If life has dealt you a blow, ask Christ to enter into it. He always does. And wait. He is there. Honest.

From the Book of Common Prayer – Good Friday

O God of unchangeable power and eternal light: Look
favorably on your whole Church, that wonderful and sacred
mystery; by the effectual working of your providence, carry
out in tranquility the plan of salvation; let the whole world
see and know that things which were cast down are being
raised up, and things which had grown old are being made
new, and that all things are being brought to their perfection
by him through whom all things were made, your Son Jesus
Christ our Lord; who lives and reigns with you, in the unity
of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment