Tuesday, May 7, 2013

There’s More. Lot’s More


Hardly a day goes by where I don’t see a record of something great that was done by a friend or family member. Praise is trumpeted. “Way to go!” “You are terrific!” “She won!” “He was the best one!” All campus. All district. Saleswoman of the year.  “Under 4 hours.” “Perfect score.”
We celebrate. We are proud of what you did.

I often wonder about those who aren’t very good at anything. Maybe, just average. I further wonder, what will it be like for the perfect victor when the applause dies down (it always does.)
We need to celebrate life’s victories, whatever they may be.

We also need to remind each other that our true worth does not come from our achievements (or possessions.) I get sad when people age and we communicate to them that they have diminished worth. I even had a woman once who quit coming to church because (she told me) that she could no longer help out and she felt bad.

Make sure you let those in your orbit know that they have inherent worth. That is the way God made it and the way God sees it. The clumsy, the untalented, the feeble, the not-so-smart, the average are all precious because, well, because they ARE.

Make it a point to remind people of their infinite worth, especially when they fail or simply do nothing spectacular. While you are at it, tell yourself. Our value comes from God.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well. Psalm 139:14 (NIV)


I praise you because you made me in an amazing and wonderful way.
    What you have done is wonderful.
    I know this very well. Psalm 139:14 (NCV)


So God created mankind in his own image,
    in the image of God he created them;
    male and female he created them.
God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. Genesis 1:27, 31 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment