Wednesday, May 8, 2013

She




I cannot get her face out of my mind. I have never met her. I haven’t even seen her. Her mother died in the fire in Dhaka, Bangladesh along with 800 others. Her mother died making cheap clothes for me. She is devastated.

Yes, I know that their government needs to have better laws. Yes, I know corporations have a responsibility. Yes, I know this may be the only work available. I also know the power of a mother to find any way whatsoever to make a better life for her children. A parent’s love makes life risky.
And I also know that I demand cheap clothes and lots of them. I drive the train that leads to the destruction of another child of God. I am sorry. I repent.

God made this mother’s life. God knew that the world needed her and her unique mix of gifts and love and quirkiness (which we all share.) God gave a lot of thought and love into creating her. I should match God’s thought and love. No human is here to be a prop of the life of another. Including mine.

At baptism, I promise to respect the dignity of every human being and to seek and serve Christ in all persons. I failed miserably.

My spiritual discipline today is to learn more about the other 5 billion people on this planet (who are my sisters and brothers) and to seek to purchase items that honor the lives of those in the line of my purchases.




No comments:

Post a Comment