Tuesday, November 10, 2009

No Fraud Zone

Don't worry that children never listen to you;

 worry that they are always watching you.

Robert Fulghum

 

I have worked with teenagers in ministry for over 30 years. While each new group of teens has new ideas and new fads, some things remain universal. One comment I have heard from teens throughout the decades is this. "Mom/dad tells me to do one thing but they don't do it themselves." While I am aware that the same could be said for the teen, I believe that there is something to learn here. Adults are to be the teachers and mentors for teens (not the other way around.)

 

The truth of the matter is that we adults have values we espouse but do not hold. We wish we had these values. We hope to have these values. We try hard to have these values. But we don't quite pull it off. We are easily exposed as frauds; hypocrites.

 

Jesus had a lot to say about hypocrites. Some of it tough to hear. Church people got the worst of it. But I do not think Jesus came to condemn these people. I believe he did and still does want people to turn from values that will get us no where to those that will lead us to and through eternity. He always promised to help with this value change, if we lean on him.

 

 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
       and lean not on your own understanding;

 in all your ways acknowledge him,
       and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)

 

One value seemed to stand out for Christ. It was doing the Father's will. If I values doing what God desired for me, I cannot go wrong. If I correctly read God, all sorts of good will come out of it. If I do not read correctly, I can seek God's forgiveness and it will be granted.

 

Today, God, I desire to let you lead. I will listen in prayer, open myself to you in scripture, and lead where prompted to act.

No comments:

Post a Comment