Monday, November 9, 2009

RU Fake?

In the world of Facebook, everyone seems to have an avatar. Strictly speaking, an avatar is a cartoon alter ego people use when on line. I am using "avatar" in a broader sense. The avatar everyone seems to have is the persona we want to project to people. This persona may or may not be who we truly are.

 

I am insecure, so I will show myself as ditzy but lovable. I am angry, so I will present myself a principled and a champion of the truth. I am hurt, so I will be funny. I am failing, so I will be super positive. We all do this to some extent (even I in writing these devotions!) We put on our best projection, hoping to be loved, heard, respected, honored.

 

James (1:8) talks about being double-minded. God calls us to have integrity. That is, the outside and inside to match. Jesus points out that no amount of cover up will keep what truly is inside us from being exposed. Integrity makes life simpler and smoother. Sister to "integrity" is "transparency."

 

Saints were ones who were not only transparent but were unabashedly who God made them to be. And God both forgives and makes no junk. You are precious and are not burdened by God.

 

May you be free to be you today. May you insist on being taken seriously for who you are in your God-given identity and may those around you graciously grant your wish. There is a rush in being real.

No comments:

Post a Comment