Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Reject

"He is 'the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone.'"  Acts 4:11 (NIV)

 

Do you reject Jesus? Oh, I know, we all think we are very upright and Christian and all that. But, do you reject Jesus?

 

After my initial, "Of course I don't!," I take a survey. What would prove that I do or don't reject Jesus? The Gospels seem pretty clear, we are to believe in him, which means that we are to invest our whole life trusting and following him. So, rejection is based on the degree to which I follow. I like to free-lance, so my following skills may need some brushing up.

 

If I am following him, I would have to know where he is. That means that I must have a regular prayer life – one where I listen as much as give Jesus my "to do" list. I would have to read scripture regularly because he's got some ideas that seem a little weird to me and I need to be reminded true life is found in those weird places. You know, first are last, take up your cross, embrace the stranger, die to live. Lastly – oh, and this is the hard one – if I am not to reject him, I must apply what he tells me (follow his lead.) In other words, I have to quit doing thing my way, leading from my comfort zone, and do things his way, as a follower would.

 

So, now, have I rejected him? Well, maybe, how about you? Let's change that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment