Tuesday, December 8, 2009

No Wrecks

Such a large crowd of witnesses is all around us! So we must get rid of everything

that slows us down, especially the sin that just won't let go. And we must be

determined to run the race that is ahead of us. We must keep our eyes on Jesus,

who leads us and makes our faith complete       Hebrews 12:1-2

 

I don't know the state of Tiger Wood's soul or the souls of Chris Brown, Bernie Madoff, or Mark Sanford. I cannot Judge. God says so. I am not unaware of their alleged or adjudicated actions. How could I not be? All seem sad to me. The truth does (always) come out.

 

I can assume that they took their eyes off Jesus. Maybe it was never on him. But even that is not my job as juicy as gossip is (as long as it is not about me.) I am to worry about me.

 

What Hebrews reminds me of is this…


      
Life is a long-haul enterprise. Things may look good today, but all my sins do catch up with me.


      
I get "slowed down" by a lot of things that are none of my business or of which I know little but provide a bit of titillation or righteous indignation.


      
I must keep my eye on Jesus, even in the minutest details of my day.

 

Pointing at others and wagging my finger is more fun than following Christ, at least in the short run. But I am running the race of my life (and so are you) and it is the little things that divert my gaze from Christ (and often look harmless enough. I mean, I have never crashed an SUV into a fire hydrant and a tree or stolen millions) that slowly but surely get me off course in life until I am lost altogether.

 

We are surrounded with so many people that can support us in our race. These witnesses can be both dead and alive. My mother is one of these supporters almost 25 years after her death. Choose to surround yourself with those who encourage you to keep your eye on Christ. Avoid the influence of those who would divert your gaze, even for a moment. Love them but don't turn over the wheel of your life to them. The prize is too great to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment