Monday, December 14, 2009

Schadenfreude

There, I said it. I ran across this word the other day while reading. It is German and means the enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others. Another way to say this is "I feel so much better when I see how badly you are doing."

 

I don't think we cultivate Schadenfreude but I do think it is second nature for us to engage in it when given the opportunity. You get a new car. I have a junker. Yours gets hit and somehow the world seems fairer. You make a lot of money and I don't but there is a certain glee when my child outscores yours in the SAT's. You engage in risky behavior. I don't (at least none I will admit to.) You get sick or hurt. The world is now right. This may be our baser response but God calls out more in us.

 

Schadenfreude makes my life seem better and makes life sort of even out. Kind of like a cynical karma. The Gospel calls us higher, not shaming our nature but speaking to the Christ within us.

 

Advent calls us to ponder the Christ who comes into the world. Today, between his first and second Advent, his foray is through us. We engage those who have troubles. God loves those who have troubles. Troubles are a call to action. No time for Schadenfreude.

 

Hear Mary, God's Mother…

 

 My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
 for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant.
   From now on all generations will call me blessed,
    for the Mighty One has done great things for me—holy is his name.
 His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.
 He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
 He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble.
 He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty.
 He has helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful
 to Abraham and his descendants forever, even as he said to our fathers."    

                                                               Luke 1:47-55 (NIV)

 

Hear her Son years later…

 

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
      for they will be filled.
 Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.   Matthew 5:3-10 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment