Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Slow Down

In all my years as a pastor I am not sure I have ever lead anyone to slow down. I think I may have lead some to skip church in order to be less busy. Somewhat frustrating.
 
I watch people and families self-destruct over busyness. Overcommitment is toxic. God created margin in our lives in the  4th Commandment. We all need Sabbath. Now, this age is faster paced. But faster paced does not mean busyness. Busyness is chaos. God thought chaos needed to be put in a box (read Genesis 1.) Busyness leads to stress, poor choices, no down time, missed appointments, letting others down, fatigue and a "How did we get here?" mantra. Imagine Jesus saying, "I came that you may have busyness and have it in abundance."



Busyness has one source. No plan. God has a plan. When we don't have a plan, everything is a priority. And what gets top billing (when there is no plan) are the pressing, get it done now things. Long term things like, "Where are we headed?" - "Will this really matter 10 years from now?" - "Will this help build the character necessary to navigate life?" - "How can I help my children make good choices, which include turning down good things?" - "Am I building a relationship to God, which is all that will last in the end?"


Jesus had a plan - to make the Kingdom (The Reality) of God central to every human life. If it didn't fit that plan, it - even if good - was discarded. If it did fit that plan, even if the results were painful, it was done. What is your plan?


I have long encouraged families and individuals to sit down and decide what the long term goals of the family were, including spiritual goals and rest. Then use that as a sorting mechanism for all the things (many good) that come our way. Jesus called this "counting the costs." 


What's your plan? God has one that puts you at peace, even in a face-paced world.

1 comment:

  1. Shan and I gave up church for Lent one year. We came to eucharist on Sundays (from Spring to Baytown, att) but let all the meetings and committee stuff go. Spent the time reading, taking walks together, evening prayer...best Lent I ever kept :)

    ReplyDelete