Saturday, August 20, 2011

Fear

Fear
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, 
for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4
I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from 
all my fears. Psalm 34:4
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools 
despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, 
because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears
is not made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18
God identifies two types of fear. Fear of God and fear of everything else.
Fear of God means a healthy respect for the consequences of going against God. 
God is not against us. God is not looking to get us on a technicality. God drives
everything to goodness. But the consequences remain.
Fear of everything else can take two paths. First, give God your fears. 
God is big enough to handle them. Second, do not follow your fears. They lead
to the consequences in the previous paragraph. Follow God who transforms fears.
The first "fear" (of God) brings hope. The latter "fear" shapes an ugly reality.
Today, will I let my fears shape my reality or will I enlist God to shape my reality 
by domesticating my fears? Fear, trust God.

No comments:

Post a Comment