Monday, September 5, 2011

Hosanna

Hosanna in the highest! No, Hosanna at the 10-items-or-less line at the grocery store. I met Hosanna today while I bought supplies for dinner. An 18ish young lady with a cheerful demeanor and striking features.

My previous encounters with Hosanna have only been in between the covers of the Bible, especially the praise spoken upon Jesus' entry into Jerusalem, "Hosanna in the highest!"

Hosanna is Hebrew for a request for salvation. In Christian Scripture, it takes on more of a praise feel. Hosanna is a happy form of "help me." I expected only to encounter it at church.

I am reminded that worship is both the fortification for a week dedicated to Christ and a recounting of the week past, both in sorrow (for things done and left undone) and in thanks.

"10 items" Hosanna was an epiphany (Jesus, saying "surprise" and showing up where least expected.) How soon I forget that God is with me (Immanuel) and that worship is a way of life. Treat today as a worship moment. Help is at hand.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment