Thursday, September 22, 2011

Tribes

One of my summer jobs while in engineering school was to work in a shop that made windows for schools and stores. Big windows. Lots of windows. Tons of glass and aluminum.

 

We were a union shop as was most of North Jersey. I was not union but tolerated summer help.

 

One day, I was asked to deliver 30 windows to a high rise. Upon arriving, I asked where they went. 13th floor. Hmm. Heavy. Long way up. There was an equipment operator there who was idle. He operated the crane that carried things up to the higher floors. Could he help me?

 

No. No union card.

 

Needless to say, I and my helper got a workout that day.

 

How often to we turn away from someone who is not of our "tribe?" Another faith. Another color. Another age. Another denomination. Ill health. Ultrafit. With kids. Without them. Smaller house. Bigger house. Beautiful. Not so beautiful. Republican. Democrat. And on and on.

 

See the Christ in people today. Let "tribe" not equal worth. It doesn't to God. Christ is at the heart of everyone you will encounter today. We have more in common than not.


There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female,

for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:28 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment