Saturday, September 17, 2011

What Do You Do When God Does Not Show Up?

I cannot count the number of times I asked God to answer prayer (show up.) Much of the time, just crickets. So much for God Almighty.

As I got older, I realized how God uses silence to form me to respond or withstand. I could do neither well without the waiting that came with God's silence. I would (and, quite honestly did, at times) wander into all sorts of foolishness.

Waiting is hard. God's seeming lack of interest is painful. Silence in our need is deafening.

God has a track record. With Israel. With Jesus. With the Church. And with you and me.

Trust God. Something is going on. Marinate in God's love today, even if it is silent.

From Psalm 42:3-5

My tears have been my food
   day and night,
while people say to me all day long,
   "Where is your God?"

4 These things I remember
   as I pour out my soul:
how I used to go to the house of God
   under the protection of the Mighty One[d]
with shouts of joy and praise
   among the festive throng.

 5 Why, my soul, are you downcast?
   Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
   for I will yet praise him,
   my Savior and my God.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment