Thursday, March 29, 2012

Blue

When I was in the mining business in western Colorado, one of my employees was named Blue. He was a pipefitter/welder. A good one. He wore a blue Civil War cap whenever he did not have his welder's mask on. He had a long peppered beard that he had to rubber-band up when he welded (watch those sparks!) He did not live in town but lived in a large tent by the mine in the mountains. His family was with him. Blue had a great sense of humor. He was comfortable in his world. I knew nothing of his faith but he was at peace.

The secret to peace in our life is not to work hard to get our surroundings to cooperate. This is usually how we go about it. "When I…" "When you…" If only…" "Until I…" "Once I…" No, the secret is to let go and let God guide us. To float and not to thrash around. It is not mysterious to those who keep in touch with God though prayer and immersing in scripture. God gives plenty of insight as where to let go and let God's way work. I am hard-headed and often think (wrongly) that I have a better way. I know I am wrong because I am not at peace.

Are you at peace today? Is it because you have let go or because you just happen to be lucky today (but maybe not tomorrow?)

The fear of the LORD leads to life; then one rests content, untouched by trouble. Proverbs 19:23

…for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. Philippians 4:11b-12

No comments:

Post a Comment