Tuesday, March 27, 2012

My Way

I am a Rat Pack fan. Going up in the 50's and 60's, the Rat Pack was the essence of hip, cool. Frank Sinatra, old Blue Eyes, was a leader of this clan of entertainers based in Las Vegas.

One of Frank's emblematic songs was "My Way." In the song, Sinatra croons at a reflective time, that he handled life on his own terms, his way. Nice tune. Dumb theology.

My way, at its very heart, is self-centered and short-sighted. I need a Savior. Saviors provide the long view. I need a real savior. One with super power. Money, power or status (even if it is hip) can never provide lasting power because they are external to me. Christ lives within me, around me and through me.  Jesus tells me I have to let go of "my way" in order to grasp God's way.  My way leads to a, literal, dead end. Jesus is, God's Way and he leads to a life even death cannot stop. In God's Way, I am honored more than I could ever honor myself.

Whose way are you going to follow today?

No comments:

Post a Comment