Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Friends


This past Sunday, Jesus told me that I was a friend of God rather than being God's hourly worker. I always find that hard to believe.

Friends are important. Friends get to be way nosier into my life. Friends challenge and comfort me. Not everyone gets to do that. Friends can count on me as I expect to count on them. Friends take me seriously but not too seriously. Life is impossible without friends. They are the joys of life and the grease in tough times.

Most people are acquaintances even if we call them friends. Acquaintances know about us but don't know us. Acquaintances are not asked to make the investment in us that friends are asked to make. If an acquaintance leaves, we are fine. If a friend leaves, there is a hole in our heart.

Given that God makes a terrific friend, how good a friend are you to God?

You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you
servants any longer, because the servant does not know
what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because
I have made known to you everything that I have
heard from my Father.  John 15:14-15

No comments:

Post a Comment