Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Long View

My dad is 93. He recently observed that newer engineers get all caught up in current technology and problems but fail to see the effects of when their little piece becomes part of something bigger.

A recent National Public Radio story was about how ultra-right and ultra-left factions in political parties are making it near impossible for any constructive action to be taken. A middle of the road Republican senator observed that America's future is murky as a result of these ideological impasses.

People in need of mortgage assistance (I personally have dealt with this) are delayed and ignored among other indignities while financial officers make millions in bonuses for fattening the "bottom line."

To be sure, what we do today does matter. But so do the long term effects, which we as Americans, tend to ignore till there is a crisis. We love a crisis. But there are a lot of "dead" bodies littering the landscape as a result of waiting till there is a crisis.

Into the mix, we need to add the long view, the bigger picture. God does.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End. Revelation 22:13

"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand. Job 38:4

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the Lord.
"As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9

God goes on, not willing to give up the long view

so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
    It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
    and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:11

Where in your dealings today do you need to give more thought to the long term ramifications of what you are considering? How would it fit in God's long view? Would it at all?





No comments:

Post a Comment