Thursday, June 28, 2012

Parrots

I love the mission trip I went on this past week. I love working with youth and the people who love them.

In our devotions, I notice a trend that is as old as my ministry with youth (30+ years.) That is, youth and adults believe that parroting back answers is what is expected of a Christian. You get a "gold star," an affirmation by knowing the right answers.

Sorry, that is just not true. Our mileage in life as Christians comes from faith, an investment in trusting Christ. Facts/right answers certainly support our faith but cannot be a substitute of a living relationship with God.

Facts impress others. Faith expresses God. We are called to be God agents, not God libraries.

Will you be a parrot today or an attentive child to God?

God blesses those whose hearts are pure, for they will see God. Matthew 5:8 (NLT)

But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the LORD. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more." Jeremiah 31:33-34 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment