Thursday, January 14, 2010

Broken Hearts

Bob Pierce, founder of Compassion International, often prayed this prayer. "Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God." As I see pictures of Haiti today, I am tempted to turn on a sitcom, say a little prayer and move on. Haiti is too messy, and huge, and far.

In a nation that calls itself Christian (well, a lot of them do, anyway,) our heats should be breaking because God's is. If fact, I think his heart breaks a lot. For single moms caught in economic quicksand. For average looking, averagely intelligent, non-athletic teens. For couples in crushing debt. For a man struggling with addiction. For a family praying their Marine will come home.

I don't want to be self-insulated from the pain of the world. I know I can let suburbia isolate me so my heart infrequently breaks. I am a realist. I cannot fix much. I am not sure God expect me to fix it all anyway. But I do think he wants me present to the world's pain. This is my family because I am God's child and so are all these others. My broken heart will lead me to a Godly vulnerability. Just because I don't have answers does not mean I cannot be brokenhearted. I'll risk it, even if I have few answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment