Monday, January 25, 2010

Coach

I hear a coach in an unmemorable post game speech riff a few words that were memorable to me. He spoke of two eras. One of "obedience and commitment" and another of privileges and rights."

 

Obviously, today is the era of privileges and rights. Everybody has their own set of rules and the rules are flexible depending on the situation. I am sure I hear, "I've got my rights" more than once a day. I seldom hear, "and I have my responsibilities."

 

Jesus told us the path to the rich life he offered was through a narrow door. I assume the narrow door is one of obedience and commitment. Life is found in LIMITING freedoms rather than exercising every one possible. Counterintuitive. One of Jesus' whoppers. Whooper though it may be, it is still the truth. Life cannot be found outside community and community requires a great deal of give and take in order to flourish.

 

We know our rights and privileges. Our culture is infused with them. We soak in them. Spend a moment and detail your commitments and who/what you are obedient to. Where are there other opportunities to expand this list? Thank God for those. Ask hi for more. Tell him you want a life in abundance.

No comments:

Post a Comment