Thursday, January 14, 2010

Quiet

Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him.

Psalm 62:5 (NLT)

 

Somehow, being quiet and having hope go together. Evidently, we experience God's hope for us when we stop long enough to listen to him or, at least, bask in his presence. How often is that?

 

We are very important, North American go-getters. We have no time for such foolishness. I mean, we would love to settle down with God once our calendar clears up. I am sure he understands.

 

I doubt God does understand. Cutting ourselves off from God is no brighter an idea than cutting ourselves off from air. Yet we always seem to be fixin' to spend time with God.

 

No calendar will clear up until our calendars belong to God and God places our tasks on them himself. God knows there are 24 hours in a day (he made the day.) I he knows you have a lot to do. But, if he sorts for us, we will fit quite nicely in a 24 hour day. Quite frankly, we are no good at managing a 24 hour day. Like the bicycle we assemble the night before Christmas, our self-created day has too many parts left over.

 

Hope is the downright certainty that God is in control and everything will turn out, even the things I cannot micromanage. Hope is a relief. I think I will calm down and let God do his best work.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment