Friday, January 1, 2010

Christmas

Each year at Christmas, I go through an annual ritual. It is one I don't like but have to do as a priest. I count who is committed, part of St. Andrew's. I report this to the national church and diocese.

 

Each Christmas, we welcome many visitors to worship. I am glad to see them but I hope more to see a familiar face returning to worship and, maybe, returning to the fold. I love and welcome anyone, everyone. But I also know that no one came to church originally without a desire. A desire to know God, to connect with others, to resolve a problem, to straighten a life out? What made the desire go away for those who once were regulars?

 

Regardless of how we might feel, unless there is a compelling problem (and some of our church members have some,) we don't "belong" to a church without "worshiping" God there. I try to contact most who are no longer coming, hoping to know what happened, knowing the reasons are often hard to uncover.

 

God loves his children, even if they come but once or twice a year to worship him. But he has so much more for those who make worship a regular part of their lives.

 

Have you talked to someone who has not been in church for a while? Have you met the unfamiliar person in worship who yearns to belong or fit in? Have you looked in the mirror and asked yourself, "What's keeping me from worshiping and is this obstacle worth it?" Have you shared your obstacles with one whose heart is open?

 

I pray you have a great new year and that you make the new year great for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment