Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Greetings

I received an email from Jesus the other day. A little scary (although I am honored) and a little disconcerting. Disconcerting because Jesus misspelled a word and closed with "Good Luck!" I would have expected "Godspeed" or something like that. He was looking for 24 (a la Revelation) good men (sorry, ladies, this Jesus was not enlightened) to serve for a year. It was unclear that things would end before the year did or that the chosen would actually be killing time prior to the rapture.  He did tell me that this was an emergency meeting. Jesus also noted that I missed his millennial birthday and should have acted more like I thought he was coming in 2000 (or 2001 depending on your marking of the Millennium.) Oh, and Jesus lives in San Mateo, CA! I would have guessed South Carolina

 

Okay, this was bizarre. But it does beg the questions, "Is Jesus a nitpicker and how am I supposed to take both scripture and modernity (internet?)" 

 

If Easter tells us anything, God does have standards, we often do not live up to them and God is more interested in our return to him than our punishment. Otherwise, you and I would be a greasy spot on the floor right now, kinda like at the bottom of a McDonald's bag. God has high expectations but Jesus tells us that fastidiousness is a spiritual dead end because we see the works as an end in themselves and love God too little. Much of the theology on the internet is either maudlin or it gives the impression that, while God forgives us on the Cross, he still holds a certain resentment. Watch out! Are you one of them?! 

 

Here is what I do (What do you do?) I accept scripture. After all these years, I cannot make a rational system out of it and I do not think anyone can. I do believe that the Spirit of God will help me with what I do not understand but, in the end, I have to trust that God knows best and has my best interest at heart. I believe God loves me (an will forgive me when I inevitably fail in my goodness pursuit.) He has something for me to do but it does not rest in obscurity and it does rest in service to him in this world and in bliss with him in the next.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment