Saturday, April 17, 2010

Priorities

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

 

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Deuteronomy 6:4-7 (NIV)

 

Will you be responsible for seeing that the child you present is brought up in the Christian faith and life? I will, with God's help.

 

Will you by your prayers and witness help this child to grow into the full stature of Christ? I will, with God's help.

Baptism

 

SportsIllustrated.com ran a story out of Allen, Texas about the school district's recent approval of a $60 million dollar 18,000 seat stadium for its football team. Groundbreaking soon!

 

I like football. I like Texas. Whether or not I like Allen, I don't know. But this story seems so out-of this-world "cart before the horse" sad. Education literally means to lead a person to some kind of enlightenment. To call out the great. It's biblical, the duty of every parent and church. Extracurricular activities are character and community builders but, have we lost our minds (if not our hearts?)  Where are our priorities?

 

Christians take priorities seriously. Creedal statements (literally, "I believe," "my life depends on this" statements) and Baptismal Vows (promises to God and each other) are meant to be our plainly stated priorities. We say in these, "I am investing in One God, I am betting my life on all people being created and loved by God, I'll stake my life on the church as being Christ's Body and our hope for the world." And more.

 

I do not know where the time and money (today's gods) for the Allen project come from.  Obviously, enough people in the school district believe that this $60 million dollar endeavor will pay out better than some other $60 million dollar educational adventure. I wonder what would happen if that kind of investment was placed in the spiritual life of teenagers?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment