Thursday, August 26, 2010

Assumptions


 
Your assumptions are your windows on the world.
Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in
Isaac Asimov
 
How often I go through life not checking my assumptions. Autopilot. As a Christian, I think we even more so believe we have the "right" thinking. After all, we believe in Jesus and didn't he say he was the Truth? Trouble is that I am not "the Truth." All I can muster up is my opinions/assumptions about the Truth.
 
I think none of us can escape prejudices and hidden assumptions in our opinions. I think it is natural for us to think our opinions are the Truth. Natural, but unhealthy. We are broken people who Jesus is in the process of healing (redeeming.) IF...we will let him.
 
Find one situation today that elicits strong feelings. Pray throughout the day for Jesus to reveal the noble and ignoble realities behind these feelings. There very well may be a change required in our thinking. Paul says in Romans (12) that we are only transformed when we renew our thinking (mind.) Change your mind. Let the Son shine through.



No comments:

Post a Comment