Friday, November 25, 2011

New

I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19 (NRSV)

Most of the time, I like new, but not always. New cars smell nice. New gadgets are too cool. New shoes hurt for a bit are an improvement. New contacts make vision crisp. A new stretch of highway is awesome but it was hell while repairs were made. I dread finding a new doctor because my insurance thinks it's a good idea.

Commercials make "new" an all-powerful  good. But we all know that means "spend more money." "New" Coke was a total bust. New technology often means that tech companies work out the bugs with we who are early adopters. New break-through's in medicine change lives and, at times, lawsuits. A new year brings promise (if nothing more than the old one is finally over.)

I am not surprised with the fact that when God tells me he's up to something new that I am only marginally impressed. I mean, it sounds great but it is not that apparent. I get busy and forget about it. I like God but I'll keep myself occupied until there is something obvious on the horizon.

Trouble is, God is doing the improbable if not possible (at least by my standards) and it is all for our benefit. Those that scan the horizon each day with an eye for God's work, see things I miss. Reread the passage above. Don't you have a "desert" in your life that needs a stream and you are dried out?

Are you missing out on something incredible? Build your day around God today.



Jim+

The Rev. Jim Liberatore, Rector
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church
281.485.3843
www.standrewspearland.org

Twitter:      http://twitter.com/gamma909

Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/frjimbo

Blog:          http://jimliberatore.blogspot.com






No comments:

Post a Comment