Friday, February 17, 2012

Guiltless or Gutless?

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 

I always figured that the problems of this world were caused by other people. Not me. Not us. It's "them" who make things a mess. Right?

Not so fast says God. In 2 Chronicles, King Solomon had just finished building the Temple. God showed up and said he would reside there. Nice digs. Then God add the passage above. If things go awry in the land, it is the people of God who should fervently seek out God and repent. God will heal the land. In other words, if things are a mess, check your own relationship with God before you critique others. I have spent much time trying to persuade others (and complaining as well) to get their act together. Can't they see what THEY are doing to our country?

Maybe I need to practice a little humility and seek God myself. Maybe the healing is not happening because I have assumed that I am guiltless. Maybe I have some changes to make. I want our land healed and a big, big, God can to that.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment