Sunday, February 5, 2012

What If God Is Right?

Our main Gospel is the Gospel of ME. God is a great "ace in the hole," insurance policy. But who is God kidding? I think I can run my own life, thank you. I know it better. Besides, God, you just don't understand. You don't get money (you want too much.) You don't get sex (you want too little.) You have this quaint idea of Sabbath as if life weren't 24/7. And what's up with "Take up your Cross?" I'll serve others when I finish taking care of myself. Honest.

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5

Maybe God knows me because God made me and I cannot make God. Maybe God loved me into existence and wants nothing but the best for me.

10 This is what the LORD says: "When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. 11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  Jeremiah 29:10-12

In the midst of turmoil (in this case exile for the Israelites,) God is still active. God knows a bad day, even one we caused. And God wants to make it right. Resurrect it.

"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand. Job 38:4

Quite honestly, I had no hand in creating me. My job is to steward me (a steward is an asset manager. I am God's asset.) Since God is the original manufacturer, God determines the recommended service schedule. God know me better than I know me. In fact, I am blind to so much of me.

Maybe God is right. And maybe it is I who needs to know God better.

No comments:

Post a Comment